Headquarters: Boise, ID
ConvertKit is a creator marketing platform built to empower creators to make a living online. We help them own their audience and turn fans into customers. For makers, authors, chefs, musicians, athletes, and anyone else making a living by creating the culture we all love, there isn’t a better tool for reaching inboxes. More importantly, there isn’t a team more committed to helping creators earn a living doing work that matters.
We’re on a mission to help creators earn $1 billion using our SaaS marketing platform. We have always been 100% independent and 100% remote. We are proud to have built a product that our customers love, that 25,000 creators use to earn a living, and we look for people who have enthusiasm and belief in our mission, vision, and values
to join our team.
We're looking for a strong people manager who has firsthand experience with the technical challenges of software engineering. You don't need deep expertise with our specific tech stack, but you should be able to provide guidance, feedback, and advice to support the teams you manage.
In this position, you’ll partner closely with Engineering & Product leadership, your fellow Engineering Managers, the Tech Leads, the Product Team, and your squad to define and achieve your goals. This role is currently responsible for managing one squad of 6-8 people, across a critical piece of our application that is key to our product’s growth and sustainability. The ConvertKit engineering culture is one where emotional intelligence is valued, radical candor is encouraged, and where everyone works together to uphold a set of shared set of team principles.
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging.
- Be an unblocker for members of the teams you manage.
- Level up your team by providing feedback and educational opportunities. Facilitate personal growth helping to define learning objectives for each of your reports.
- Guide and mentor direct reports with clarity and empathy, hold regular 1:1s with all members of your team, and measure and manage the performance of your direct reports.
- Contribute to the psychological safety of your team. We believe that everyone should bring their whole selves to work and they should feel comfortable speaking up and being themselves. Own hiring, terminating, and promotions for the squads you manage
- In partnership with Product, scope, prioritize, and plan each 6 week work cycle for the squads you manage. We operate on 6 week cycles with a two week cooldown period after each cycle.
- Drive the execution of work, and hold the team accountable to scoped commitments.
- Place your squad’s work in the context of business goals, and track and measure your team’s progress.
- Facilitate good processes within your squad, across engineering, and with cross-functional partners.
- Represent technical considerations and engineering interests with fellow managers and with the executive team
Strong candidates will:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. This role is primarily about communicating with others and facilitating amazing work getting done.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in a technical leadership role, and at least 3 years of prior experience writing production code at scale.
- Prior experience working in or managing distributed, remote teams.
- Enjoy both management and collaboration.
- Be committed to building a diverse engineering team that serves as a role model for the software industry.
- Have the ability to foster both high performance and a high degree of psychological safety on the team. This requires strong empathy, communication, and listening skills to understand and advocate for the needs of the team.
- Be comfortable delivering constructive feedback to drive individual growth and fostering productive conflict to seek out the best and most diverse ideas to reach the best solutions for customers.
- Be autonomous and self-motivated to work effectively in a 100% remote company.
- Ideally have a background in developing applications using Ruby on Rails, and experience with other tools in our technology stack: React, MySQL, Elasticsearch. This is not a hands-on coding role, and experience leading software development is more important than programming skill
- Have enthusiasm for and belief in our mission, vision, and values.
- Live and work primarily in US time zones.
- Have a deep desire to contribute to and build on our vision of being a small and efficient team, bootstrapped, remote, and always dedicated to the creator community.
ConvertKit has standardized salaries based on position, no matter where you live. For this role, we’re hiring at a level 3 ($166,500) or level 4 ($187,500), out of five levels. Level is determined based on experience and our interview process.
Other benefits include:
- 4 weeks paid vacation
- $1,000 yearly vacation bonus for taking 5 consecutive days of vacation, fully unplugged from work
- 10 paid holidays
- 2 weeks of sick leave per year, including mental health days
- Up to 6 weeks paid bereavement leave, medical leave and natural disaster leave after 6 months of employment, 2 weeks of each paid leave in your first 6 months
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- 12 weeks paid parental leave, with flexible scheduling in your child’s first year
- Profit sharing (two times per year, we share profit with the team. 2021 total profit sharing average for the year per team member was $15,000)
- $4,000 equipment allowance for your first two years, $2,500 budget every following two years for U.S.-based team members
- 401k with a 5% match
- $3,500 Individual learning & development budget
- The team gathers twice a year for fantastic virtual or in-person retreats
How to Apply
To get started, complete an, including a cover letter. For candidates we’re interested in, we’ll hold a series of conversations with people who would be your peers, reports, and a coworkers; at a minimum, you can expect the following:
- A phone screen with someone on the hiring team
- A technical interview to discuss your software-development experience
- A culture contribution interview
We’ll keep you informed through every step of the process.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/convertkit-remote-engineering-manager