We are looking for a full-stack Ruby on Rails developer to join our cross-cultural team of six in-house RoR and QA engineers to continually build new features and improve existing UX.
Bluethumb is Australia's largest online art marketplace. We were founded in 2012, and represent 17,000 Australian artists. We help them exhibit and sell their art, and grow their careers. We are a technology company in the arts industry, and have become the leading art platform by building the best tech for our artists and collectors.
What would a normal week at Bluethumb look like?
- One team-wide stand up and one dev/product team standup (Fridays).
- No daily updates or check-ins required.
- 3-week sprints.
- You pick your own task from the sprint pool with no pressure.
- Pair programming with other devs and support from PM/QA team.
- You almost always work on a combination new features, improvements, refactors and bugs during the sprint.
- Other things we love - code reviews, pair-programming, clearing code-debt and a retro meeting per sprint (retro meeting is to raise 'mad', 'sad', 'glad' and 'rad' issues throughout the sprint to learn and improve).
More about us:
- Australian team based in Melbourne and Adelaide. Tech team spread across New Zealand, Russia, United Kingdom, Canada, Indonesia.
- We've been a remote-first tech company long before the pandemic, some of our engineers have been working remotely for a decade. We know how to build and maintain an effective and friendly remote work environment.
- 3-week sprints so the team can work in their own time with ample support and mentoring.
- Fewer meetings and reporting, and more trust. We have only one tech meetings per week (plus another company wide standup) and most of our communication is Slack-based (with ample mentoring as and when needed from the seniors).
- The work you do helps Australian artists build their careers. Many have made their career break on Bluethumb and rely on it for a living. The tech we build is socially impactful! You see it go live and get used almost immediately. A facebook group of 3000 Aussie artists is a great pool of users to get instant feedback from.
- You'll work in a small team of awesome engineers, QA and PM focussed on shipping great product, in a complex environment.
- We're a fully custom built site - so everything is possible and we love creating complex features in a simple way.
- Team trivia, online games and virtual hangouts.
The is a remote-first position and we would ideally love to have a 4-5 hour overlap (AEST) (use this link to compare) with you. We have offices in Adelaide & Melbourne, so bonus points if you are in either of these two cities. This is not a strict requirement though - so if you're based elsewhere and can manage a couple of hours overlap with AEST, we'd love to hear from you.
Minimum 2 years of traceable production Ruby on Rails experience (excluding boot camps). To succeed in this role, along with Ruby on Rails, you will be confident and experienced in front-end development. Knowledge in DevOps, QA, or Data Science a plus.
⚒️ Tech stack
All our developers are full-stack and get really varied new experience; with a mix of front-end (solid level Vanilla and Vue.js), back-end (Ruby, Rails, Hanami), and DevOps (Docker Swarm/AWS), doing short sprints and bigger projects.
Our ideal candidate:
- Ruby on Rails savvy
- Confident using Slim templates engine, CSS/SCSS/Tailwind, Vanilla JS/UJS/Vue.js
- Has production experience with Elasticsearch and Postgres
- Can demonstrate an advanced level of rspec usage
- Familiar with giving and taking code reviews
- Comfortable with occasional pair programming
- Ready to adjust to development guidelines
- Building awesome tech - front end and backend.
- With a small team (7), your ideas will be listened to and you can see the imact of your work on artists' life.
- Work in a fun, friendly team with heaps of experience. No bureaucracy.
- Regular team trivia and v-hangouts.
- Competitive salary.
- Flexible working hours. (No time logging etc.).
- Balanced workload.
- Unlimited room for growth.
- P.S. Our merch is pretty cool.
Please send an application tailored to this position (Generic templates and dry cover letters are hard work and seldom impressive). Introduce yourself as you would in a face-to-face interview. First impressions matter, so please do take your time with the application.
We are keen to learn more about your past/current projects. We’d like to see examples of software you’ve written. The actual code. We appreciate that it can be hard to share representative samples when you’ve been working on commercial software, so anything you can scrape together will be good. If you have open source contributions, those are really helpful as well.
Next steps if we like your application:
- A quick face to face call with the team (online) to get to know you.
- A routine code refactoring exercise (offline) or an equivalent theoretical exercise.
- A home-based exercise covering backend and frontend tasks.
- Live pair programming session on a real task from our production pipeline.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/bluethumb-remote-mid-senior-full-stack-ruby-on-rails-developer