Headquarters: Birmingham, AL
Fleetio is looking for an Engineering Leader who has an unrelenting drive and the know-how to build scalable, maintainable software solutions with great software design principles and a pragmatic approach.
Fleetio has a modern tech stack (Ruby on Rails, ReactJS, ES6, Postgres) and we are growing our product and team rapidly. As a Staff Software Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the architecture and technical direction based on our product vision. The ideal candidate relishes taking on challenging problems, has a solid track record of building scalable solutions, and can become an expert of a sub-domain within the platform.
Fleetio is a modern software platform that helps thousands of organizations around the world manage a fleet. We are making an impact on how our customers manage their fleets and you will play a major role in helping shape a key sub-domain within the platform. Transportation technology is a hot market and we’re leading the charge, with raving fans and new customers signing up every day. We recently raised a $21M Series B round
and are on an exciting trajectory as a company.
This is a remote role and is open to candidates in the United States, Canada, or Mexico.
What you'll be doing
- You will work closely with the Lead Engineer to own a large business domain and provide technical direction to your squad as necessary.
- You will help the team deliver well-tested, maintainable, and performant code.
- You will act as a liaison and work closely with Product Managers, Designers, and other Engineers to plan, design, architect, and implement features in the core areas of our platform.
- You will be working with interesting data points/streams at scale (both in-house data and from integrations with 3rd parties such as GPS and fuel card providers) to provide actionable insights to the end-user.
- You will research, implement prototypes and spikes as necessary to validate assumptions and technical feasibility.
- You will champion code quality and introduce necessary design patterns by working in unison with other Staff and Principal Engineers.
- You will pave the way for other Engineers on the team by building a solid technical foundation.
- You will help grow Fleetio's Engineering culture and brand.
What's in it for you
- Be a part of an incredible team of “A” players who go above and beyond to make Fleetio a successful company. You will build software used by people all around the world. So many different types of companies and organizations operate a fleet each day, and Fleetio is a good fit for most of them (it’s a huge market).
- Work remotely (within the United States, Canada, or Mexico) or at our Birmingham, AL HQ. Over 80% of our Engineering Team works remotely (including our CTO), and we have promoted a strong remote working culture since the beginning (2012).
- We place great emphasis on work/life balance. We have families and hobbies and know you do too.
Our Engineering and Product teams are structured as autonomous squads that execute within one focal area toward a defined product vision. We're hardcore believers in easy-to-use software, and our main goal as Product Engineers is to quickly and continuously deliver meaningful value to our customers. We've optimized our CI/CD tools and processes to easily get code into our production environments, resulting in an average of 40 deploys per week.
- 8+ years experience with Ruby on Rails or similar web framework
- Extensive experience designing and building REST APIs
- Deep expertise with relational database concepts
- Possess the knack to navigate large codebases, seamlessly introduce good design patterns and principles
- Hands-on tech leadership experience including leading projects and providing technical direction
- Proven ability to gain expert level understanding and ownership of a business domain
- Solid track record of leading large, complex projects to successful delivery
- Ability to work with distributed teams and work towards collective success
- Passion for teaching and mentoring other engineers
- Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills
Considered a plus, if you have experience with...
- CI/CD Pipeline
- 100% coverage of employee health and dental insurance (50% family)
- 401(k) + match
- Company stock options
- Vision, STD & LTD
- Dependent Care FSA and Medical FSA
- Generous PTO, Company Holidays & Floating Holiday
- Maternity/Paternity leave
- Community service funds
- Mac laptop
- Professional development funds
- Health and wellness incentives
- Remote working friendly since 2012
For Non-U.S. based candidates, Fleetio offers a country-specific competitive benefits package.
Not quite what you were hoping for? Check out our other engineering roles here.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/fleetio-staff-software-engineer