AllTrails is the most trusted and used outdoors platform in the world. We help people explore the outdoors with hand-curated trail maps along with photos, reviews, and user recordings crowdsourced from our community of millions of registered hikers, mountain bikers, and trail runners in 150 countries. AllTrails is frequently ranked as a top-5 Health and Fitness app and has been downloaded by over 40 million people worldwide.
Every day, we solve incredibly hard problems so that we can get more people outside having healthy, authentic experiences and a deeper appreciation of the outdoors. Join us!
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Work closely with members of our trail data team to encourage and empower outdoor explorers
- Contribute to the architecture and design of new and existing services
- Design, build, and implement new web components and product features
- Analyze and optimize client-side UI and server-side API code for efficiency and performance
- Work at all layers of the stack, from AWS/Ruby on Rails/SQL to React/HTML/CSS
- Take end-to-end ownership and responsibility for the architecture, deployment, and maintenance of product features
- Coordinate tasks with your teammates and collaborate with the entire company to refine requirements to deliver the best product to our customers
- Identify and squash bugs
- Work collaboratively as a distributed team and use GitHub, Slack, and Zoom extensively to connect.
- 3+ years of software engineering experience
- 2+ years Ruby on Rails experience
- 1+ years React experience
- Passion for A/B testing, rapid prototyping and creative collaboration
- Familiarity with the entire stack – web servers, the application layer, caching, databases
- Experience with responsive layouts and frameworks such as Material-UI or Bootstrap
- Understanding of MySQL or other relational and non-relational databases
- Ability to communicate technical concepts and limitations with non-technical stakeholders
- Strong sense of ownership with experience self-managing your workload and communicating updates to stakeholders
- Self-motivation and a deep sense of pride in your work
- Curiosity, humility, and open-mindedness
- Passion about web technologies and AllTrails’ mission to connect people to the outdoors
- Exposure to geospatial data or mapping technologies (MapBox, GPX, GIS)
- Experience with Monitoring, Logging, Reporting and Alerting frameworks like New Relic and Datadog
- Familiarity with Docker, Kubernetes, and CI/CD tools
What We Offer:
- A competitive and equitable compensation plan. This is a full-time, salaried position that includes equity
- Physical & mental well-being including health, dental and vision benefits.
- Trail Days: No meetings first Friday of each month to go test the app and explore new trails!
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible parental leave
- Annual continuing education stipend
- Discounts on subscriptions and merchandise for you and your friends & family
- An authentic investment in you as a human being and your career as a professional
The estimated base compensation pay range for this role is 140-160k annually. The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on various factors such as skills, experience, training and credentials, as well as other business purposes or needs. It is not typical for a candidate to be hired at or near the top of the range of their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the factors and circumstances of each case.
Nature celebrates you just the way you are and so do we! At AllTrails we’re passionate about nurturing an inclusive workplace that values diversity. It’s no secret that companies that are diverse in background, age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity, and perspective are proven to be more successful. We’re focused on creating an environment where everyone can do their best work and thrive.