Headquarters: Dublin, Ireland
We are ChangeX. We have built a platform to connect communities to proven innovations and finance.
Our mission? To empower people everywhere to change their communities for the better by making it easy for them to access the innovations, funding and support they need.
With our support, great innovations like Grow it Yourself, Girls Who Code, Cycling Without Age, Men’s Sheds, Repair Café, Pocket Forests and FIRST LEGO League, are being adopted by communities across the world.
So far, more than 17,000 community projects have started through ChangeX, scaling almost 100 innovations and benefitting over 600,000 people.
Our business model is called Impact as a Service. We make it easy for funders to invest in the innovations they want to spread in regions they care most about. Our partners include Microsoft, Accenture, the LEGO Foundation and Amazon Web Services.
We are in an exciting growth phase, as we prepare to launch in multiple new regions. And we are growing our team across all functions to deliver on this growth.
Our team and how we work:
We are simplifying and accelerating the way people fund, start and grow projects in their communities. We’re looking for engineers who share our belief in the power of great technology to transform lives.
Remote working is part of our company’s DNA. For example, our development team currently works remotely, with team members in Dublin and Mayo in Ireland, Barcelona in Spain and Joinville in Brazil.
As a development team, we run a lightweight process that focuses on feature-based delivery on a weekly basis. Our coordination and communication are mostly through daily ‘catch-up meetings’ and use of appropriate tools such as Trello for backlog management, Slack for communication and Git(GitHub) for source control and feature deployment through PRs and Milestones.
We make use of peer review for all design and development work. In general, we strive for an approach that empowers and trusts individuals to ‘do the right thing’.
This role: Full Stack Software Engineer
The role is an opportunity for mid to senior level developers to be part of the core team that scales ChangeX over the coming years.
We are currently going through an exciting growth phase, evolving from a traditional RoR architecture to additionally support a modern “single page application” approach. This evolution exposes our application as a set of APIs consumed by React to provide a rich interactive experience.
As part of this project, you will work on re-building the fund-management UI in our application.
Examples of projects you might work on:
- Build new features that bring the impact of community projects to life, including dashboards, feeds and APIs to highlight deeply insightful data
- Work closely with the rest of the product team to improve existing features, based on feedback from our users
- Upgrades to our tech stack – we like to stay up to date with our frameworks
- Refine our existing processes to thrive at scale, innovating and finding areas to automate
- Updates to the look and feel of our site, including restructuring the navigation, to ensure the best possible user experience
- Build impactful integrations with third-party products such as social media sites or partner tools
We are looking for people who have:
- Strong UX and design sensibilities
- Strong programming skills with a focus on clean design, well-refactored code and automated testing
- Confidence playing a significant role in the vision and development direction of the product
- A demonstrated commitment to social change
- Strong empathy and ethical fibre
Technologies we use:
- Ruby on Rails is our primary server framework
- Deployed using Heroku for managing infrastructure
- PostgreSQL Database
- GitHub for source code management and process support
- GitHub Actions for continuous integration
- Flexible working options: remote, in office or a hybrid of the two
- 25 holiday days plus flexible hours
- Annual performance related bonuses
- Pension scheme after 12 months of employment
- Basic health insurance plan
- Master new skills from those around you with onsite/online talks and networking at our hubs
- Access to a great work environment and facilities at Dogpatch Labs in Dublin, our New York hub or a co-working space convenient for you
- Annual team retreat
If you want to ensure your engineering skills positively impact the world, we’d love to talk to you.
As a first step, please send your resume and examples of your work (e.g. GitHub repositories, blog articles, etc) to Katie at email@example.com by Friday May 6th. If you do not have suitable examples to share, we can work on something together.
We will shortlist several candidates for a series of interviews with a cross-section of our team. We like candidates to talk to as many of our team as possible to allow us – and you – to make the best decision possible.
Our interview process is ‘work’ focused and could involve looking at code together or pair programming.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/changex-full-stack-developer-2